Kids Today

People are always putting down today’s youth. The claims are that they have no direction, think only of themselves, and think they are above the rules. I remember sitting in high school and college and getting all fired up when the media would make the same claims of my own generation. When I would talk to my parents about it they would simply ask if I really thought that my whole generation had the same drive that I did. They were right, I was above the norm, but all in all I think we turned out just fine as a group.
So what about today’s youth, will they turn out just fine? How knows only future will tell but the real question we should be asking is why. Why do they have no direction, think only of themselves and think they are above the rules?
I saw a possible answer to this question today while I was at the mall. Yes the mall, the suburbs place to send off their youth with mommy and daddy’s credit card in hand. But it was not in the halls by Hollister and Abercrombie that I found my answer or even in the food court. My answer was found in the kids play area.
As a parent you know anytime you bring your kids to a public play area you are opening yourself up to a whole world of unknown possibilities. What I found today was not out of the norm but did really make me think. Within a few minutes of sitting down Godzilla arrived, a boy who even stood next to the height thing and even though he was way too tall his mother said he could play and by play I mean terrorize the entire area. Next despite all of the signs saying no food or drink in play area there was the brother sister team eating a full on picnic almost.
So as parents when we ignore the rules what are we teaching our kids? What makes our kids above the rules in our eyes? While I am sure it is out of our love it might be the most misdirected love there is. Now, I have over looked a few rules before myself and I now hold myself accountable and will hold my girls accountable as well. Maybe if we all follow the rules with our kids their generation will have a chance. Maybe it is time for all of us to simply “make a better choice”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World Is Still Out There

A Fresh Coat of Wait

Super Mom vs Anxiety Mom