That Twin Thing


People often ask me about the twin bond the girls have. Now, most of these questions center around them feeling each other’s emotions like a sixth sense or if they have developed their own language. Really! They can hardly wipe their own butt after going to the bathroom and you think they are developing their own language or a powerful extra twin sense? So, based on this line of questioning it is really simple to say “no” smile and go along my way.

Now to be honest my girls have bonded with each other, as sisters, and have shared almost every life experience with each other out side of a few ER or Urgent Care visits. They spend all day, every day together and are simply best friends. I often wonder when this bond and sister love will vanish and they will simply want time alone or time with their “own” friends. I know the day will come…….it has to…….they are girls after all. But, until then I love that they have a friend to play with who just happens to like the same exact things they do. Put simply I have a built in playdate everyday over here and am often asked to “not play with us”. Don’t hate though, I have managed to fill up that time with a lot of other things.

So this brings me to my point the awesome story I would love to tell people when they ask the above stated question but unfortunately they only care about the super natural and weird not the lame heartwarming truth. So, instead of going too deep with the random person at the store I shall share my story here.

The girls began soccer this past fall and the experience included all things 3 year old soccer should; tears, fun, snack, tears, and a few goals. Only issue was Ainsley was the only sister scoring goals. By the end of the season she had 3 or 4 goals and we were so proud. Kendal had no goals but we were proud that she ran and tried her hardest. Kendal never cried that she was goal less, she would just say she would try again next game and would talk about how she helped the other Purple Dragons not have people swipe the ball from them. When the season ended with a goalless Kendal she matter of a fact said she would try next season.

This winter we enrolled the girls in an indoor soccer skills program to improve their ball handling skills. Yes I know they are only 4 but it is the same as using flash cards at home with your kids, our focus just happens to be soccer skills. 6 weeks into the program they split the kids into two teams and began a scrimmage game. Of course Ainsley scored 2 of the first 3 goals. After each goal Kendal would run to her sister and give her a huge hug, talk about sister love. Then something happened. As play began again I heard Ainsley yelling Kendal’s name. She was saying “Come on Kendal get the ball, get the ball, get the ball”. As I continued to watch Ainsley began blocking for Kendal, kind of NFL style, but none the less clearing the path for her sister to get down the field and get her first goal. It was so important to Ainsley that Kendal achieve her dream of getting a goal that she did everything in her 4 year old power to make it happen. Now that in my opinion is not only the best example of a twin bond but of simply being a good person. Because let’s be honest anyone out there with a 4 year old knows it is not in their nature to want for others yet, they pretty much operate on a me basis.

After her goal Kendal had a huge smile on her face, as did her sister, and there was a long sisterly hug to follow. This mommy felt such a warmth in her heart and realized that as long as these girls have each other they have the best support system I could ask for. If one girls gets hurt the first person there is her sister, they care so deeply for each other in a way it almost makes me jealous of them, and I wish I had a twin.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World Is Still Out There

A Fresh Coat of Wait

Super Mom vs Anxiety Mom