The Giving Tree

Finding myself within “The most wonderful time of the year” with toddlers is hard. While countless people over spend on themselves and loved ones in the spirit of giving and consumerism I wanted to find a balance. This is the first year my girls will be receiving gifts from Santa (the big guy and I had an agreement – until the girls understood the situation there was no reason for him to add us to his delivery schedule) and receiving a gift from us. Don’t get me wrong I love Christmas time and the decorations but growing up it was always about being together not the over load of gifts. I think each year my sisters and I got one main gift and then needs like socks, new pants, underwear etc. Believe it or not, I was happy and content.
So that brings me to this year when the girls understand the receiving part of Christmas but are lacking on the giving ideas. I have talked a great deal with them about helping others, giving to those less fortunate and they love putting money in the bell ringer’s bucket outside of stores. Seeing them begin to understand giving was filling my heart. This week we went to our church’s giving tree to pick tags as our family does each year. I know I will get a lot of back lash for this, but I was shocked at some of the request I saw; new DS game, iTunes gift card, H&M gift Card, Game stop gift card, JC Penny gift Card. I searched with the girls until I found tags asking for jeans, tops, and pants and placed them in my bag and walked away. It has been eating at me ever since.
What is need? Is need when you “need” what others have? Or is need when you “need” help providing basic staples? My family was middle class growing up, I never had a power wheel, Nintendo, game boy, fancy car, or the right clothes to fit in during High School but we were not in need. I understood my family’s financial situation because my parents were open and honest with me about it. They taught me a great deal about living within our means.
So, what are teaching our kids if we live outside of our own? I question your need if you or your kid already has a DS, an iPod, or iPhone. I am all for helping others when times are hard but I will not buy something that I would not get for my own kids. In my house we have a hand-me-down computer, and old iPod and only one TV. We do not have smart phones, iPads, or the latest gaming system. 95% of the girl’s clothes and second hand and most of my current clothes are from the thrift store. We budget and track every dollar and when the girls ask we will share all of that information with them so they understand as well. We are not in need in anyway and feel blessed with what we have.
I am sure there are others out there with large hearts then my own who will pick the tags that I passed by and I am happy for that. It still does not make it any easier for me to sallow that they were there and made me suddenly question others needs.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The World Is Still Out There

A Fresh Coat of Wait

Super Mom vs Anxiety Mom