To Princess or not to Princess?

Prior to having kids I vowed that if I had girls they would never be princess girls. You know the type, the ones enchanted by fairy tales of princesses, princes, and happily ever afters. I wanted my kids to have a realistic view of life and if girls be strong independent females.
Well, as luck would have it, I have two princess girls. It was so easy for them to want the dresses, love the stories, and dream of princes. For a long time I let it get to me that I was allowing them to play in this world that is far from reality. I wanted to instill in them that a guy on a horse was never going to come along and save the day. That the world is not perfect and some time the prince is really just a jerk. Then it hit me, I was not against Disney, the stories, or the dresses. I was just already trying to toughen them up for their first heart break, the first time someone will think less of them because they are female and truth that not all endings are happy but that they all make you stronger. I was letting my own life baggage get in their way and it was unfair to them and the perfect dream that all little girls are allowed to have. So about 6 months ago I put my issues behind me and let them princess it up.
The other day the issue came back up regarding Halloween when another mommy stated that she only allows her kids to dress up as “realistic characters that are good role models”. As my mommy armor took a blow from her direct hit in response to my girls being Snow White and Tiana my stomach turned. Maybe I should rethink the whole princess thing….. but lucky for Snow White and Tiana a few days later I saw much more clearly.
So what! Yes these stories might be fairy tales but why does it matter. What grown women has never dreamed of Johnny saying “Nobody puts Baby in a corner”, or Edward telling us that we are his life now, Robin Hood saying he would die for us, or the words “You complete me”? I have gotten lost in each of those stories and longed for their romance. So why not let me girls dream about a prince they are just like their mommy. And besides when it comes down to it, I found my prince and just have to relive the story in my head. My girls also found their prince and I am ok with sharing him until they find one of their own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World Is Still Out There

A Fresh Coat of Wait

Super Mom vs Anxiety Mom