Being OK with Average


It can be really hard when you are the parent of just an average kid, or in my case two average kids. I am surrounded by mommies of above average and super smart kids on a regular basis it seems and I can’t help but feel like I should already be setting aside money for the tutors my girls will need for the rest of their lives. I wonder if the organic approach to learning that I have taken is actually setting us behind. See I have a theory that the girls will learn all things as they are needed as they naturally occur in life. Sounds very granola I know but I am not a pintrest flashcard or work book mommy. I am a” this is real life” mommy. The result of this is that we are 3 ½ years old and can only identify about 5 letters correctly, we can say our numbers but counting actual items goes badly after 4. In short I feel we are a little behind our friends.

When I have those moments of feeling really left out as others are talking about their kids discussing advanced theories of calculus (ok I am exaggerating a little there, but just a little) I have to remind myself all of the other really important things my kids do know.

Some of the wonderful nuggets of knowledge my girls know are as follows –

·        If you drop food on the ground/floor and pick it up quickly it is ok to eat. If you find food on the ground it is icky and you do not eat it.

·        Being late is rude and makes people upset so it is important to always be on time.

·        We only buy things when they have the yellow sale price tag (at the grocery store) because it is important to save our money.

·        No one will want to be your friend if you pick your nose because it is gross (we have been picker free for 2 full months now).

·        Stay away from the bigger kids at the playground because they are too wild.

·        We hold hands in parking lots so cars don’t flatten us like pancakes.

·        When in an elevator the button with a bell symbol calls Taco Bell. – Ok so this one is not accurate but they recognized the symbol.

·        Darth Vader was a good guy, who made bad choices and became bad, but ends up good in the end. (Really, this lesson will get them much farther in life then you would think)

·        We understand needing to make better choices when things go wrong.

·        You don’t touch the glowing part of the stick you poke the fire with.

·        You know your shoes are on the wrong feet if you big toe feels funny.

I don’t think any of the above items will be on a SOL, SAT or GMAT exams at any time, but I think we at least have a good start. So, if you are a mommy like me teaching your kids real world lessons stay strong you are not the only one out there. My girls are average, perfectly average and I think that is great, it just takes me reminding myself that not all things you need to know are found in books.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World Is Still Out There

A Fresh Coat of Wait

Super Mom vs Anxiety Mom