The Pressures of Preschool

Before I became a mommy I remember traveling for work and watching an episode of Real House Wives of New York and seeing these women go crazy about what preschool their kid was going to go to. In my DINK life I laughed at how dumb these women looked and sounded. I kept thinking it is just preschool…preschool….and how does she chase around kids in those heels?

Fast forward to my current life as a stay at home mom and I HATE preschool and still do not see how some mommies do it in heels. Now please do not misunderstand, I LOVE the preschool my girls attend. Why do I love it? It is easy, it is a good fit for me, and my girls. I can have face time with the teachers at drop off or pick-up every day, I can look through the window in the door prior to pick-up to see what my little ladies are up to, I get a printout everyday so I can talk with the girls about what they did, I know the other moms and kids in the class thanks to drop off and pick-up, the teachers are wonderful, the rooms are clean, my girls have learned a ton of important life things, the building is safe, they get to play…..I could go on and on.

Where is this special place that I have made my family’s preschool home you might ask? Wait for it…….. one of the county rec centers. And now the judgment begins. Yes, I love it there and my kids love it too. I only hate preschool because of what other moms make of it. Ok, I know we all think where our kid goes is the best, that is why they go there. Or in my case the choice was made by figuring out the cost per hour of all the schools in the area and finding where my money got me the most. But I am done with the putting down, talking trash, and ideas that your kid is going to do so much better than mine based solely off of where they go to preschool. I even had a mom tell me “All kindergarten teachers say they can tell the kids who went to “X” preschool.” Really, do they teach a special nose picking technique at “X” because that seems like a far stretch to me? When conversations about preschools come up it always incudes trash talking about this school or that school and it is so ridiculous.

If you are currently looking into preschools there is really only two things you need to know; find a place that is a good fit for your family regardless of the stigma attached to the place and have lots of craft supplies at home because when the craft of the day losses an eye on the car ride home there will be a complete melt down until you get a replacement glued back on!

As for all the preschool parents out there only talk about what you like about where you go do not talk trash about places because what works for you might not be what works for everyone. And if you go some where like my kids do that you love but other people are always putting down just remember…

When some loud braggart tries to put me down
And says his school is great
I tell him right away
Now what's the matter buddy
Aint you heard of my school
Its number one in the state

So be true to your school now
Just like you would to your girl or guy
Be true to your school now
And let your colors fly
Be true to your school

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World Is Still Out There

A Fresh Coat of Wait

Super Mom vs Anxiety Mom