A Blogy Blogy World


I have been thinking about social media and blogging a lot lately. I have been trying to figure out how I really feel about it all. When I first thought about starting a blog I was going to do it under a pen name or anonymously because in truth I wanted to bash people and say anything I wanted without having any consequences. Shallow and hurtful, I know. After thinking more about it I realized two things; 1 there is already enough hate in the world that I do not need to add to it and 2 I am a grown adult who needs to be responsible for what I say regardless of the good or bad that might come from it. So, here I am being honest and standing behind what I write. I do comment on other people I come across within my mommy world and I explain how I see the scenario. Could this hurt the other people, of course but I do try to be respectful in relaying my side of the story.

Then there is face book. I told my husband the other day that if he were not my husband (because you know I have to keep tabs on him – lol) I would hide him from my news feed because of his never ending political status updates. Honestly I don’t even think he looks at his news feed, he just gets on, post, and logs off. I think he was a little hurt but I explained that is gets old and that over half of my FB “friends” got hidden from my news feed during the following events; election, health care issues, and marriage equality. I got tired of it. I know FB land allows us to speak our mind and stand our ground but I think in truth it is just another passive aggressive way to give the finger to someone without having to really put yourself out there. I have seen status updates and thought “Wow, I am happy I am not the person who upset him/her.” To only find out a few hours later “scratch that, it was me they were talking about.” FYI – this has happened 3 different times. FB is like the new version of passing notes in school to find you forgot the note in your last class and “gulp” someone else might read it. Or like I said before it is the new passive aggressive middle finger behind the back that the person may or may not see.

Is social media and blogging allow us to no longer take accountability for what we say and do because, hey we are just putting it out there and can’t help who reads it. Or do we hold ourselves to a higher level because we, me, you, us and them all deserve better? For my part I will try to do a better job of telling my stories without being hurtful to others. Will you?

 After my talk with my husband about face book he changed it up a bit and posted the following after our most recent family camping trip Just got back from two days of wonderful camping! We had one situation which brought back old memories. One kiddo had to use the Ikea potty we brought with us for a #2 because she could not make it in time to the bathroom about 75 yards away. The question was do we carry the little potty to the bathroom to dump everything or not. I chose "not" and dumped the waste in the fire. Ah, nothing like burning poo to bring back memories of nights in Iraq burning the barrels of excrement with jet fuel. I think it may have grossed out Dawn Cipolla Whitaker. Sometimes in life you get just what you asked for even if it really was not what you wanted. He might get hidden based on grossness now!

Comments

  1. Ugh, Facebook. Why can’t Facebook be what it used to be when it was just offered to college kids? Probably because those college kids are now adults who are now bashing their ex-husbands and selling Thirty One on Facebook. Ugh, and again I say, Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The World Is Still Out There

A Fresh Coat of Wait

Super Mom vs Anxiety Mom