You're Doing A Good Job Mommy

Before having kids I was “that” person. The one who would judge moms and their kids when I was out. The running dialog in my head went a little like this; “wow she looks bad, can’t you get your kid to sit down, is anyone watching this kid, can you get your kid out of my way, really do you need to take up the whole aisle, can you get your kid to be quite …”. Yep, “that” person who judges what they don’t know and always said “When I have kids they will never …” and here enters karma.
I have seen the looks that others have given me as I have walked through stores with a child in questionable behavior, a bow in my hair that I forgot I put there as a joke a few hours before and most likely either food on my clothes or my favorite a sticker on my butt that the girls either put there or I sat on. Yes judge away, I deserve it for all the times I did the same but understand that as soon as you transition from a cat person to a mommy karma is going to get you as well.
I have learned to take the looks in stride because despite what it looks like I have the situation under control. Yes my child might not be in the same aisle I am but we are learning the life lesson of “stay with mommy”. Nothing teaches a kid this until they find themselves alone or grab the wrong person’s hand.
So that brings me to my point. Last week we went to Target and the girls were given the option to ride in the cart (yes both in back basket judgers because what do you do when you have 2) or walk. Of course they said walk so we had our stay with mommy talk and were on our way. I was pleased with the progress our trip was making until we got to the check out. I could tell the girls were getting tired but figured a few more minutes won’t hurt. Let’s just say I was wrong. As soon as the cashier filled the basket with all of our purchases and we were walking away the girls both decided they wanted to ride. Now at this time riding was no longer an option without unpacking and repacking the bags and cart. I explained they wanted to walk and we were on our way to the car. This is when the perfect storm hit. Tears, screams, and shaking ensued with a child clinging for dear life onto each side of the cart. I told myself to stay strong as I felt all eyes turning my way and could feel my ears get hot as I knew we were being judged. My only course of action was to just keep moving dragging my children with me screaming “I want in, I want in”. Then it happened. A women walking past me simply said “you're doing a good job mommy” in the nicest tone ever. I never played sports growing up but this must be what it feels like when the couch gives you an “adda boy” and a pat on the butt. She was right; I was doing a good job in the big picture kind of way.
So in honor of Mother’s Day instead of getting diamonds, flowers, or fancy dinners give mommies what they really need. Tell them they are doing a good job when the situation is the worse. When they are holding their ground to teach their children something. It is at those moments we need to know that we and what we do are appreciated.
Thank you random Target lady you made me feel like a good mommy!

Comments

  1. I hate judgement. It's so icky and not cool. I do love random Target women though. They can make you feel good and on occasion name your unborn child.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The World Is Still Out There

A Fresh Coat of Wait

Super Mom vs Anxiety Mom