It’s Potty Time – The one week wrap-up.

So, we have been in potty training mode over here for one full week. I am not going to sit here and say the girls are potty trained because they aren’t, but we are working on it.
I have one kiddo who went over 48 hours without an accident and stayed dry during naps and night time. Yeah me! Oh wait, until today at the playground when she ran up and said “change me I have poop”. At that moment I was happy to be using pull ups while out. Those pull ups also helped when kiddo number two had to poop at that same playground this afternoon and couldn’t get to the potty in time because some random stranger kid would not leave me alone and get off of our travel potty. I guess this is just her first lesson of others getting in the way of your succeeding and my first lesson to learn to say “I know your mommy is too busy on her I-phone to play with you but I do not want to be your friend”.
We have a number of trips to the public potties while out, 8 in one visit to Taco Bell, 5 at the rec center, 3 at restaurant, 8 at playgroup….During these trip I know they need to go but they are now just in love with potty areas and getting to wash their hands because, yep you guessed it they love to touch every surface in there. Yuck! Occasionally they do go, but they also learned that “I have to go potty” is the phrase that gets them out of whatever they don’t like. My sister did this every night after dinner growing up to avoid dish pan hands and I know I have used it during a few boring work things in the past so I can’t blame them for trying.
In short potty training is not fun or easy but is a little rewarding when they tell you they need to go and actually go. Hearing “bye, bye pee pee see you soon” as they flush the toilet and wave is funny and heartwarming in a weird way. While I am glad that we did this I will be happy when we are past the stage of me staring between my kids’ legs as they sit on the potty to see if anything is happening. On average we only have 1 accident a day outside of sleeping hours so I am happy overall with our progress.
To anyone about thinking about potty training their kids I offer you one piece of advice – don’t worry about if they are ready, just make sure you are ready to take it on. My carefree days of just letting the girls play are now filled with watching, listening, and waiting for the battle call of “I need to go potty”. No more afternoons of soaps and ice cream for me ha ha ha.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World Is Still Out There

A Fresh Coat of Wait

Super Mom vs Anxiety Mom